Friday, August 29, 2003
Happy Birthday Michael Jackson!!!!!
I LOVE Michael Jackson. When he showed up on this year's BET Awards unexpectedly, I screamed like he was in the room. I don't care what you MJ haters say, I would marry him on the spot.
Thinking of Michael Jackson, I remember when I was a little girl and I would spend my Saturdays in my living room playing records and 8-tracks. I would always play Off the Wall and if you remember, the record folded out into a full length picture of MJ. Well, I would play the record and we would dance and when the duet with Patti Austin came on, we would sing together. Yes, I was crazy even then.
These are my top 5 favorite Michael Jackson songs not including Jackson Five songs because it would take me a month to narrow it down to 5:
1) Get On the Floor from Off the Wall OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! The whole album is amazing but this one just makes me want to never stop dancing.
2) Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough from Off the Wall- really needs no explanation. I remember sitting in my car one day before I made it a point to keep the CD in the car and staying in the driveway until it went off. I couldn't stop dancing. Then I went into the house,looked around to make sure I was alone and continued dancing for a good 5 minutes as if the song was still on.
3) Baby Be Mine from Thriller- Underrated.
4) Lady In My Life from Thriller We all know that there are some funky allegations against MJ regarding his sexuality. I have never been swayed. You cannot sing a song like this with this much passion and not love women, it's impossible.
5) Butterflies from Invincible I didn't think that MJ could turn out another classic so late in the game but this is right up there with the rest. I still get all warm and silly when I hear it.
Clown Mike if you want to but I better never see you dancing to ABC, I Want You Back or Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' if you do. We can't forget how integral MJ's music has been to the very fabric of our culture. The MUSIC, not the persona. Music just wouldn't be the same without him.