Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Oh, the places you'll go...in Atlanta - Tia

El Myr
"Call us the next time you're in town. We'll go to El Myr. It's become one of our favorite places."

That was a text I received from a friend who'd recently relocated to Atlanta. I'd had some difficulty convincing he and his girlfriend that this hole in the wall place outside of their normal stomping grounds of Buckhead would be well worth the drive, the hassle of parking and the smoky bar atmosphere. But once anyone takes their first bite of anything El Myr, they are hooked.


I honestly can't remember how I was first introduced to El Myr. It's at the far end of L5P (Little 5 Points). Other than to park, I didn't really have a lot of reasons to wander down that way. I'm certain I had to have walked by it dozens of times and somehow never took notice of it. But now I honestly can't imagine my life without it.


I dream about the nachos from El Myr. I woke up today and even though I had a flight at 1:55 and El Myr doesn't open until noon, I knew I HAD to get some nachos...TODAY!!! 



 
Besides amazing nachos, El Myr has some of the best burritos I've ever eaten. I promise you, the Skillet Burrito will have you unabashedly licking the plate. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it I've never had anything I didn't like at El Myr. 

I love that they have Woodchuck Pear Hard Cider on draft. (I consider myself something of a hard cider lush connoisseur.) But sometimes all you want with your Mexican food is a margarita. Don't worry, El Myr has you covered. With something like 12 different kinds of margaritas, you're sure to find something you like. Personally, I'm a Patron girl. And even though I've tried, I can never quite get my Patron margaritas at home to taste like the ones at El Myr. 

The ONLY downside to the place is that they allow smoking. So if you're in any way averse to cigarette smoke, call your order in for carry out. Or if you're lucky enough to live close by, you can have them bring it to you. That's right...they deliver. Could this place get any better? 

I know I just had El Myr today but I'm seriously considering eating there again this weekend. I have to be on that side of town anyway, so why not have some delicious nachos and a margarita. I mean, who wouldn't want to spend their weekend eating and drinking. It's an American pastime...to eat Mexican food. 

You can check out El Myr on their website or on Facebook. Or better yet, just swing by and order some nachos. And try not to lick the plate when you're done.

No comments: