Tuesday, November 12, 2013

John Mayer Speaks Truth - Tia

If you've read anything on this site, you pretty much know that Toya and I are music snobs. I can't speak for Toya, but I feel that more often than not, a lot of today's music is crap. It's just noise, rehashed ideas and an insult to the intelligent listener.

Don't get me wrong, I have an iPod full of guilty pleasures. But increasingly, I find myself uninterested in most of what is put out on the airwaves. And it took John Mayer to articulate why.

The short version: music has just been dumbed down. There's no thought to it. Lyrically, it's insulting and disingenuous. And musically, it's elementary and uninspiring. I know that not ALL music out today would fall into those aforementioned categories. There are artists who still make thought provoking, quality music. But clearly a lot of what we hear has been, shall we say, intellectually reduced. Creativity seems to have been lost. (Why do you think there's so much sampling going on?) And a lot of those "artists" striving to make something different fall painfully short because, frankly, they shouldn't be making music in the first place.

(I just re-read this and I realize I sound like a bitter old woman. Sorry, I'm not sorry.)



I am wholly convinced that aside from a handful of artists, very few people who currently inundate the airwaves will be remembered in 20-30 years. Where the 80s gave us music that we will forever remember, the 2000s have (mostly) given us music that we constantly and willfully forget. And that my dear readers makes me sad.

1 comment:

Lei said...

wow, being that I am a yr older than him, I totally agree. People dismiss the 80s as if it was garbage, but there actually was some good and orginal music back then.

And can I just say. His lips...